Lokmitra has been effectively evolving concept and practice of School Management Committee & Parents Association to address the powerlessness faced by parents in engaging with education system. Collectivizing parents from school level to Block, District and State level through School Management Committee, Block Parent Association, and distict-state level broad based coalition. Parent Associations have been active in district and state level advocacy with officials and peoples’ representatives.
- Lokmitra has effectively evolved concept and practice of – SMC & Parents Association to address the powerlessness faced by parents in engaging with education system. At School level, School Management Committee of Parents drawn from each class and led by parents form the system of better management and accountability. Parents of SMC federate at Cluster, Block level to ensure accountability of official machinery at Cluster, Block and District level. This federation not only gives strength to their voice through collectivization, but also promotes mutual learning through sharing of local efforts. This idea has been found unique innovation & contribution of Lokmitra in Evaluation report. These Bodies will be really concerned and politically strong because of its size & geographical reach as well as due to its understanding of good education. At local level Parents Bodies could influence functioning of Panchayat (Local Bodies) for ensuring that Education gets importance in their agenda & they allocate time and resource for education facility and quality.
- About 440 SMCs have been promoted in seven Blocks of Raebareli (50% members SC, women 30%). SMCs in three blocks have got federated as Block Parent Association (SC 45%, women 45%, Muslim 3%). Apart from working for improving the functioning of schools, Parent Association has been active in district and state level advocacy with officials and peoples’ representatives, (including for RTE Act, Rules).
- There is perceptible and growing change in attitude of teachers, parents, NGOs and Officials.
- Parents are taking leadership in SMC, Parent Association and even in mobilizing parents in neighborhood areas. They give importance to giving boys and girls equal opportunity and stimulating learning environment.
- Teachers are realizing the benefit of giving space to Parents through SMC and in return being able to enjoy the improvement in the functioning of their school.
About 150 workers from 75 NGOs have got three day exposure exposure of SMC/PA work and felt enthused to see the understanding and leadership